What are the pre-requisites of getting thesis proposal approved?
A: The list contains the pre-requisites of getting the thesis proposal approved;
Provisional status should be cleared and changed to Regular.
- Degree Plan is approved.
- At least 75% of the coursework should be completed for MS (all coursework for PhD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.00.
- The seminar course passed or registered in the current semester.
- Thesis course is registered in the current semester.
- Thesis/Dissertation Advisor Selection online through "Graduate Studies" tab in the student portal.
- Thesis/Dissertation approval form is submitted online through "Graduate Studies" tab, along with the Thesis/Dissertation proposal in PDF file and the similarity report from Turnitin or iThenticate (maximum allowed similarity is 15% excluding references.)
- For PhD students only: the comprehensive examination should be passed.
- For PT PhD, full-time residency period has started or officially approved by the Deanship of Graduate Studies.
- A committee is formed in accordance with the Regulations of Thesis/Dissertation Committee Formation found at http://www.kfupm.edu.sa/deanships/dgs/Pages/en/Unified-Regulation.aspx.
- Resume of any Assistant Professors, non-Faculty members and/or any external members (out of KFUPM) are to be submitted with the refereed journal publications highlighted.
Generally, how long does it take to get a thesis/dissertation proposal approved once the entire requirements are fulfilled?
A: If there are no non-Faculty members and/or any external members (out of KFUPM) in the thesis/dissertation committee, it takes about a week to get thesis/dissertation proposal approved once the entire requirements are fulfilled. Otherwise, the approval procedure takes about a month provided that the entire requirements are fulfilled.
How do I know about the status of my thesis/dissertation proposal?
A: If approved, the notification emails will be sent to the Department, Thesis/Dissertation Advisor and student by the Deanship of Graduate Studies. In addition, the student can check the academic summary page in the portal for the thesis/dissertation status. In case of any deficiency/requirement regarding the submitted documents, the student receives feedback email from the DGS. If neither of the emails is received by the student, the student must inquire about his thesis/dissertation proposal from the DGS Academic Auditing Office.