It aims to support researches which concentrate on certain topics of a big impact on the national level on short-term or medium-term.
5.1). Main Goal:
This program aims at coordinating the national efforts for finding & developing solutions that are based on the research and development for problems and issues which directly affect the position of the Kingdom or the prosperity of its nationals.
5.2). Other Goals:
- Providing a special platform to facilitate advertising on the important research topics with the relevant entity and receiving research and development proposals from the research establishments.
- Adhering to top follow-up and evaluation criteria to reinforce the chance for achieving the desired goals of the researches.
- Encouraging the distinguished research leaders for conducting researches whom their outcomes contribute in meeting the direct national needs.
5.3). Scientific Fields:
The fields differ according to the nature of the problem. In general, the researchers can apply for this program using the subprograms portal. For now, 2 subprograms are launched: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome research grant program (2016). Rhynchophorus ferrugineus research grant program.
5.4). Program Methodology:
The 3 main stages in executing these projects are:
5.5). Required Outcomes:
- The outcomes are determined in each subprogram (patents, publications, training of national cadres or developing new prototypes) and classified according to their importance and assigned points as specified by the supervisory committee of the subprograms.
- The min. requirement is determined for all the outcomes taking into account the duration and approved fund of the project.
- A specialized team is delegated to evaluate and follow-up the progress of the project as per the points system.
5.6). Summary of the program:
|Item ||Description |
|Beneficiaries ||The concerned entities |
|Entities ||Saudi Universities & national research centers |
|Time/Duration ||Varying |
|Budget ||Varying |
|Budget Items ||Manpower compensations, supplies and equipment, trips, and others |
|Evaluation ||Advisory Panel in KACST |
|Performance Indicators ||# of issued patents and # of publications |