- June 1998: Summer postdoctoral post at University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- June 1989: Summer postdoctoral post at University of Exeter, Exeter, England.
- Jan 1985: Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Dec 1980: M.S., Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Jan 1978: B.S., Chemistry (Honor), University of Petroleum & Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- The coordination chemistry of some transition metals complexes such as gold, silver, and palladium with thiones and its derivatives, and trialkylphosphines
- W. Karner, M. Y. Nazmy, and A. R. Al-Arfaj , "Phase instability and corrosion behavior of AISI 316 P/M Stainless steel", Werkst Korros (1980), 31, pp. 446-452.
- M. S. Hussain, H. M. Al-Mohdhar, and A. R. Al-Arfaj, “Template reaction: axial-ligation and macrocyclization of alpha-furilglyoximates and alpha-aminedioximates of cobalt(III) and rhodium(III)”,J. Coord. chem., (1988), 18, pp.339-349.
- M. S. Hussain, M. L. Hossain and A. R. Al-Arfaj, “Mixed-ligand complexes of gold(I) and silver(I) with heterocyclic thiones”, Trans. metal chem., (1990), 15, pp.120-125.
- A. R. Al-Arfaj, “ Mechanism of the Oxidative Addition of Iodine to cyclopentadienyl (Carbonyl) trimethylphosphine Cobalt (I)”, Arab. J. Sci. Eng., (1990), 15, pp.243-246.
- M. S. Hussain, A. R. Al-Arfaj and M. L. Hossain, “ Mixed-ligand complexes of copper(I) with heterocyclic thiones”, Ttransition Metal Chem., (1990), 15, pp.264-269.
- A. Isab and A. R. Al-Arfaj, “Interaction of Palladium(II) with DL-selenamethionine in acidic aqueous solution”, Transition Metal Chem., (1991), 16, pp. 304-307.