Sign In

 Frequently Asked Questions

​Table of Contents: 


1.     Registration:  
Q1.1 )   How can I get an approval to register in a closed section?                                                                     
A1.1)    To be added in a closed section, submit a request to the department during the first four days of the semester. Detailed instructions will be provided before the start of the semester.
Q1.2)    I want to register for a course but its final exam is in a conflict with one of my other exams for another course.
 The instructor agreed to arrange the final exam for me. What should I do to get the registrar approval?
A1.2)    Submit a petition with the approval of the course instructor and the department Chairman. The course instructor must agree to arrange for the final exam, which might not be possible for a coordinated course.  
Q1.3)    I am a senior student and I want to register for a graduate level course as one of my major electives
 (EE 4xx), what is the required procedure?                                                                                                
A1.3)    You need to submit two petitions as follows: 
1- An Undergraduate student can register a graduate course only in the last term before graduation, and that requires him to submit an academic petition approved by the chairman and requires approval also by the Dean
 of graduate studies. 
2- To consider a course that is not in the approved list as a major elective, an academic petition approved by 
the chairman, approved by the Dean of college, and approved by the Vice Rector of academic affairs is required.
Q1.4)    How can I audit a course ?
A1.4)    You can audit a course only in your last semester before graduation. To do that, you need first
 to register for the course. Then you submit the audit request to the registrar after the approval of the 
course instructor and department chairman.

2.     Curriculum and Courses:
Q2.1)    Can I take MGT 301 instead of ISE307 ? 
A2.1)    No you cannot. All EE students must take ISE307. 
Q2.2)    I  took a C grade in a course. Can I repeat it ? 
A2.2)    No, you cannot repeat a course with a C grade. However, courses with grades D+, D or F can be repeated keeping in 
mind that the old grade will be still calculated in the overall average.
Q2.3)    I  took an F grade in a course.  I want to repeat the course, Can I repeat the Lecture only without the LAB? 
A2.3)    No, since you failed the course, you must repeat both the Lecture and the LAB.
Q2.4)    I changed my major to EE, will ICS 101 be accepted instead of ICS 103?                                     
A2.4)    No, ICS 101 is based on Fortran while  ICS 103 is based on C language and they are totally different languages.
Q2.5)    I changed my major to EE, will ICS 102 be accepted instead of ICS 103?                                     
A2.5)    Most probably yes, if you got a good grade in it. You need to submit a petition for course substitution. ICS 102 is based 
on Java and it is very close to ICS 103.
Q2.6)    I am involved in the extra-curriculum activities at student clubs; will you give a credit for volunteer work in the transcript?
A2.6)    No, but your participation in such club will add a great value to your CV. When you apply for jobs, companies will 
appreciate your volunteer work.
Q2.7)    I have been accepted for the exchange program at international universities. What are the courses that I can take?
A2.7)    Please make sure to take the department approval for any course that you are planning to take during the exchange 
program so that it will substitute for equivalent courses at KFUPM. We have a list that is being updated regularly at the 
department secretary. 
Q2.8)    Can I take courses during the summer outside the university?
A2.8)    You must take the approval of the Deanship of Admission and Registration before taking any course outside KFUPM.
 The department role is just to check if the course is equivalent or not. 
Q2.9)    What is the difference between EE and AEE?
A2.9)   The difference between EE and AEE programs is the training part as shown in the following table:

EE Program

AEE Program


Summer training is 8 weeks.

COOP training is 28 weeks


Summer training has a pass or fail grade with no credit hours.

COOP training has a letter grade with 9 credit hours.


Summer training is during the summer semester.

COOP training can be taken during the second and summer semesters, or during the summer and first semesters.

3.     Co-op and Summer Training:
Q3.1)    What are the requirements for the coop program?
A3.1)    You must complete 97 Hours. In addition, you must have passed English 214, EE311, and be in a good  standing 
(GPA > 2).
Q3.2)    What are the requirements for summer training EE399 ?
A3.2)     You should be in a Junior good Standing (GPA > 2) and have passed English 214 and EE311. 
Q3.3)    I am now in Co-op program; can I take another EE course while I am doing the coop?

       A3.3)    No you can’t. 
4.     Elective Courses:
Q4.1)    What are EE Electives (EE 4xx) ?
A4.1)    EE Electives (EE 4xx) are specialized senior courses offered by the EE Department. A list of EE electives is shown in 
section ‎7. 
Q4.2)    How many  EE Electives (EE 4xx) should I take?
·         EE (Science) student should take at least 13 credit hours. For example, he can take three 3-credit hours courses and 
one 4-credit hours course. 
·         AEE (Applied) student should take at least 7 credit hours. For example, one 3-credit hours and one 4-credit hours courses.
Q4.3)    Can I take a 3-credit hours course that includes a lab instead of the 4-credit hours course?
A4.3)    No, the 3-credit hours course with a lab is counted as 3-credit hours only and it cannot replace the 4-credit hours course. 
Q4.4)    Can I take additional EE elective courses?
A4.4)    Yes you can take additional EE elective courses more than the required hours for graduation. 
Q4.5)    What do you mean by a technical elective course (XXXX xxx) ?
A4.5)    A technical elective course must include technical engineering educational tools such as Math, Experiments, Statistics, 
or Analysis. That means that courses, similar to management and general studies, are not technical. 
Q4.6)    Which course should I take as a Technical Elective (XXXX xxx) ?.
A4.6)    You can take any senior (4xx) level course from Engineering and Science Colleges. In addition, there is an approved list 
of technical electives available at the department website for 3xx and 2xx courses. Please see section ‎8 for more details. 

Q4.7)    Can I take an EE elective courses instead of the Technical Elective course (XXXX xxx)?
A4.7)    No, the technical elective course must be taken from other departments as explained in section ‎8.
Q4.8)    Which course should I take as a Science Elective (XXXX-2xx) ?
A4.8)    Science elective courses are sophomore (2xx) level courses from the college of science only. A list of approved courses
 is available at the EE department website. Please see section ‎9 for more details.    
Q4.9)    What is the difference between Science Elective and Technical Elective?
A4.9)    Science elective courses are (2xx) level courses that must be taken from the college of science as explained in 
section ‎8.
On the other hand, technical elective courses could be (4xx) level courses from engineering or science colleges in addition to the approved list of (3xx) and (2xx) courses. Please refer to the EE Department website for the updated list.   
5.      Double Major:
Q5.1)    How can I apply for double major?
A5.1)    If you are currently an EE student, please contact and apply at the other department. If they approve your request, 
they will contact us for approval and for a joint degree plan.
6.     Change of Major:
Q6.1)    How can I change my major from AEE to EE ( or from EE to AEE)? 
A6.1)   Submit a change of major form, which is available at the registrar, and seek the signature of your advisor and then the undergraduate coordinator or the department chairman. 

Note: Any student who applies for a change of major should send the Form  with the transcript in pdf files to the following four emails:

Q6.2)    How can I change my major from one department to another?
A6.2)    Step 1: Get the approval of the new department on the change of major 
            Step 2: Get the approval of your current department on the change of major form .  
Note: For EE deaprtment, any student who applies for a change of major should send the Form with the transcript in pdf files to the following four emails:

7. Technical Electives (XXXX-Xxx)
Students can take any 4xx level courses offered by College of Engineering (Outside EE Department), College of 
Computer Science and Engineering, College of Science and College of Environmental Design provided that all pre-requisite and 
co-requisite conditions are met and cross-listed courses are observed.
In addition, they can take any of the following 3xx and 2xx courses:

Course Code   Course title
ME 203
Thermodynamics I 
ME 204Thermodynamics II 
PHYS 203Electrical and Magnetic Properties of Materials
PHYS 213Modern Physics
PHYS 215Introduction to Astronomy
MATH 232Introduction to Sets and Structures
ICS 253Discrete Structures I
GEOL 303Sustaining the Earth
CISE 301 Numerical Methods 
CISE 312 Instrumentation Engineering ( Restriction: Can't be taken with  EE 434)
COE 305Microcomputer System Design ( Restriction: Can't be taken with EE 429)
COE 360Principles of VLSI Design
STAT 361
Operations Research I
​MATH 371
Introduction to Numerical Computing

8. Science Electives (XXXX-2xx)
List of science electives ( XXXX-2xx) for students of electrical engineering is as follows:

Please refer to the department web page for the list of approved science electives. If you have strong justification to take a course outside the list, you have to get the approval of the department chairman.

​9. Regulation Violations:
The following list contains registration violations. It is your responsibility to avoid them. 

S. No

Registration Violations                         

100/200 level courses


JR student delaying 100 level course


SR student delaying 100/200 level course


JR student wants to drop 100 level course


SR student wants to drop 100/200 level course

Out of Major Courses


Student taking more than one out of major courses

COOP Program


Student going to COOP, has Earned Hours < 85


Student going to COOP, CGPA < 2.0


Student going to COOP, MGPA < 2.0


Student taking COOP in last term

Summer Training


Student going to Summer Training, CGPA < 2 OR MGPA < 2 OR both


Student going to Summer Training, has Earned Hours < 65


Student taking Summer Training in last term

Under Load


Student Course Load < 12 (Under load)

Substitution And Electives


Student taking a General, Technical, or Free Elective outside the approved list


Student taking Major Elective outside the approved list


Course Prerequisite, Co-requisite Violation (Student wants to take a course without the prerequisite or co-requisite)


Course Standing Violation (Student wants to take a course of higher class or of other college or other departmental restrictions)

Final Examination Conflict


Conflict of Final Examination Schedule between 2 courses

10. EE Science Courses Flow Chart (new Curriculum)

11. Applied EE Courses Flow Chart (new Curriculum)


   [Back to top]