The electric energy sector in Saudi Arabia is experiencing record growth in demand requiring significant investments throughout the full supply chain. A great opportunity exists to significantly influence the sector growth plans through embedding the principles of sustainability as a national strategic necessity. Such influence requires professionals and leaders with the skills necessary to model the support systems of policy makers, business developers and technical experts.
The Master of Engineering Program in Sustainable and Renewable Energy builds on the success of KFUPM's undergraduate education with its emphasis on research and study of advanced and specialized subjects. The general objective of the program is to prepare professionals and leaders with the skills required to address the challenges of transforming the Kingdom's electric energy sector into a highly efficient, reliable entity. The program graduates will have acquired state-of-art knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to address the technical, economic and environmental issues in the design of renewable and sustainable energy systems. Moreover, the graduates will have attained the methodical attributes to operate, control, evaluate, and manage the renewable and sustainable energy systems of the future. Hence, they will advance and lead the Kingdom's renewable and sustainable electric energy sector into a highly efficient, reliable entity.
The general objective of the program is to prepare professionals and leaders with the knowledge, skills, and competence required to address the challenges of transforming the Kingdom's electric energy sector into a highly efficient, sustainable and reliable entity. The specific objectives are:
The graduates will have acquired state-of-art knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to address the technical, economic and environmental issues in the design of renewable and sustainable energy systems.
The graduates will have attained the methodical attributes to operate, control, evaluate, and manage the renewable and sustainable energy systems of the future.
The graduates will advance and lead the Kingdom's renewable and sustainable electric energy sector into a highly efficient, reliable entity.
Duration, Timeline, and Delivery Format:
KFUPM understands that many engineers would enroll on this program on a part-time basis and would only be able to attend lectures during after-hours sessions. Consequently, the duration of the program and delivery format are influenced by this.
- The program will be delivered during the weekends.
- Each cohort will have twenty-four months to complete all courses, including the project.
- Each course would be covered over 45 contact hours.
- The courses are taught by faculty from various departments and by invited speakers from industry and academia.
- The program starts annually in the Fall semester only.
Conferment of a Master of Engineering in "Sustainable and Renewable Energy" requires successful completion of 30 credit hours of graduate level courses and a written graduation project. The project will be directed by industrial and academic advisors. The degree plan spans four semesters over a period of 24 months.
In summary, the course work is distributed as follows:
- 18 credit hours of core courses
- 9 credit hours of technical elective courses
- 3 credit hours for Project (SEN 600)
- Electric Energy Systems
- Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems
- Advanced Energy Conversion
- Renewable Energy Integration
- Solar Photovoltaic Systems
- Energy Economics, Policies, and Regulations
- Electricity Markets
- Nuclear Engineering
- Solar Thermal Energy
- Wind Energy Engineering
- Smart Grids
- Energy efficiency
- Energy Storage
- Sustainable Buildings and Cities
- Energy Project Management & Leadership
- Special Topics in Sustainable and Renewable Energy
- SEN 591: Special Topics in Sustainable and Renewable Energy
- SEN 600: Sustainable and Renewable Energy Project
Program Schedule and Fee:
|Program start and end dates ||Sep. 2020 – May 2022 |
|Duration ||2 Years|
(SAR 45,000+VAT / Year)
|Application opens for Fall 2020 ||Feb. 1, 2020|
|Deadline for submitting Applications ||June15, 2020|
To apply to the program, candidates must have a bachelor degree in engineering from a recognized institution with a high academic reputation. The minimum requirements for possible admission are as below:
- A Bachelor (B.Sc.) Degree in engineering from a recognized institution.
- A Grade-Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a scale of 4.00 or equivalent. Official transcripts and degree certificates are required for final admission.
- Completion of TOEFL with a minimum score of 520 (PBT), 190 (CBT) or 68 (IBT). IELTS is also acceptable (minimum band-6.0).
- At least two letters of recommendation, where one letter can be from industry.
- Passing an admission interview.
- Satisfying the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission into the program, as final admission is subject to an evaluation of the entire application, and the personal interview.
- Based on the assessment of the applicant file and the personal interview, the admission committee might offer conditional acceptance for students who need to take deficiency courses.
Mandatory documents for application (without which the application will not be processed):
- Application Form (download)
- Copy of identification (National ID for Saudi nationals / Passport for international applicants/ Iqama for residents of Saudi Arabia).
- Complete official transcripts for B.Sc. degree.
- Statement-of-Purpose (a one-page essay focusing on career and research goals).
- Two Recommendation Letters.
- Proof of English proficiency
Please email the complete admission package as single file (pdf) to:
Mr. Kattuparambil Krishnan
For more information:
Dr. Mohammad Al Muhaini (Program Coordinator)
EE Department, KFUPM