EHS KFUPM policy is to ensure the highest standards of Environment, Health and Safety for its faculty members, staff, students, and visitors. In doing so, it will comply fully with all EHS and welfare legislation and associated approved codes of practice nationally and internationally. It will apply the principles set out in the best practice code of conduct for the University EHS.
- KFUPM is committed to the following EHS elements:
a) Leadership and Accountability
b) Community Awareness
- Developing and maintaining a positive and proactive EHS culture by raising awareness about Environment, Health, and Safety.
Establishing and maintaining safe working procedures for faculty members, staff, and students, and encouraging EHS as an integral part of behavior by all within the University's environment.
c) Safe Operations
- Ensure all work practices on campus are safe and without risks to human health (faculty members, staff, and students).
- Ensure inspections to identify hazards and set recommendations to rectify the hazards. Conduct audit of departments in the response of inspections conducted by them.
- Ensure follow-up to rectify issues by implementing the recommendations.
- Ensure that there are EHS orientations for all new students, faculty, and staff.
- Ensure that the faculty members, staff, students, and others who work at the University are provided with needed information, training and supervision to enable them making their work environment safe.
- To ensure that all who work at the University understand the impact of their work and behavior on EHS.
d) Responsibilities of Management
e) Contractors, Suppliers, and Other Worker Requirements
f) Hazard / Risk Assessment
Identify hazards covering all laboratories and academic buildings, and assessing risks within the university campus and set recommendations to eliminate or minimize it.
g) Accident / Incident Investigation
Conduct root-cause-analysis of all accidents and incidents within the University campus to find the cause of accidents and to provide proper guidelines to avoid any future catastrophe.
h) Emergency Response
i) Sustainable Development
Develop and implement programs to ensure better management of all the KFUPM resources.
j) Environmental Compliance and Green University
- Ensure the healthy working environment by assessing regularly the current environment conditions and implement recommendations.
- Develop and implement programs to make the university green.
- Develop and implement programs for waste disposal and recycling etc.
k) Health and Hygiene Compliance
- Enhance coordination with departments to ensure health and fitness awareness programs
- Ensure the good hygiene condition of all the food facilities at the University.
- Ensure walk-in health screening programs, food and nutrition programs and other health programs with KFUPM Medical Center.
l) Continuous Improvement
The EHS is committed to continuous improvement and EHS guidelines, safety procedures and good practices are available on the EHS Department website, representing the performance standards that must be followed. These guidelines are reviewed regularly by the EHS Department and updated in the light of new legislations and developments with best practices.