Two 50-minutes lectures, one 180-minutes lab per week (2-3-3)
Designation: Elective Course
Course Level: Undergraduate
Prerequisite(s) by Topic:
- Communication and Networking
- The Web as an example of client-server computing
- Overview of Operating Systems
- Security and Protection
- File Systems
Install and upgrade different popular operating systems. Managing File Systems. Managing User Accounts. Setting up X Windows System. Configuring Printing Services. Upgrading and installing software packages. Backing up data. Tuning kernel parameters. Configuring and managing various protocols: DNS, DHCP, Routing, Electronic Mail, and Network File System. Managing and troubleshooting computer systems and networks. Network and System Security.
Red Hat Linux: Networking and System Administration, 3rd Edition, by T. Collings, K. Wall, John Wiley, 2005.
Reference(s) and Other Material:
- Unix System Administration Handbook, 3/e, Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, Hein. Prentice Hall, 2001.
- TCP/IP Network Administration, 3/e, Craig Hunt, 2002
- Essential System Administration, 3/e, Eleen Frisch, 2002
- Guide to UNIX Using Linux, 3/e, Michael Palmer, 2005
- After completion of this course, the student shall be able to:
- Install different operating systems and tune the system parameters.
- Configure network protocols & services for different platforms.
- Identify and perform system administration tasks such as system logging, configure NFS, creating a backup and recovery plan, designing security policy, account administration tasks.
- Evaluate, discuss and select appropriate network services.
- Troubleshoot and resolve installation, configuration and security problems.
- Identify ethical responsibilities of an administrator.
- Introduction, Basic Commands
- Installing Linux & Configuring X11 Window
- Managing User Accounts
- Managing File Systems
- Kernel Fiddling
- Networking (TCP/IP & Routing)
- Configuring DHCP & Name Services (DNS and BIND)
- Upgrading and Installing Software Packages: make, cc/gcc, autoconfigure
- Common Server Processes (Apache Web Server/http, sendmail)
- Configuring Network File System (NFS)
- System Security
- Printing Services, Serial Port Configuration
- Logging Services
- Backing up Data
- Network Management and Debugging, Troubleshooting