The mission of the department is threefold:
- To provide quality teaching with the aim of establishing effective and innovative undergraduate and graduate programs that will contribute to the development of the highly trained manpower in the Kingdom.
- To enhance fundamental and applied research to a level comparable to that of the contemporary leading centers of mathematics in the world.
- To play an active role in the scientific and technological development of the University and the Kingdom through closer inter-departmental cooperation and development of interdisciplinary programs and through its commitment to broadening and deepening the mathematical training of students in all majors and at all levels.
BS Program Mission Statements
To provide students with strong up-to-date mathematical foundation and professional skills that lead our graduates to succeed in subsequent careers and educational programs and to serve the community and contribute in the development of the Kingdom.
The goals/objectives of the BS program in Mathematics at KFUPM are to:
1. Improve the quality of the program.
Objectives for Goal 1:
- Enhance and update teaching and learning techniques.
- Engage faculty in professional development activities.
- Use and maintain a variety of appropriate technological tools throughout the curriculum.
- Introduce new courses to satisfy current needs.
2. Promote the research awareness at the undergraduate level.
Objectives for Goal 2:
- Generate good research atmosphere through seminars and conferences.
- Engage students in research projects.
3. Increase student enrolment in the program.
Objectives for Goal 3:
- Publicize the importance of mathematics in real life through seminars and workshops.
- Increase the contacts and communications with prep year and high schools to attract more students to the program.
4. Develop and implement community engagement plans.
Objectives for Goal 4:
- Spread the math culture in the society.
- Enhance the awareness of the public on the history and applications of Math.
Program Learning Outcomes of BS Math Program at KFUPM
1.1 Discuss differential, integral, and multivariable calculus.
1.2 Explain basic concepts of abstract and linear algebra.
1.3 Discuss concepts in real and complex analysis.
1.4 Explain the theory of sets and structures.
2.1 Implement suitable techniques to solve ordinary and partial differential equations.
2.2 Analyse and solve problems of basic statistics.
2.3 Analyse and prove theorems.
2.4 Build appropriate mathematical & data driven models to solve real life problems.
2.5 Use mathematical or statistical software.
2.6 Communicate mathematics orally and in written form.
3.1 Work professionally and ethically in teams