Weekly Highlights – ME Department
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT:
- Short course on "Engineering equation solver (EES)" by Dr. Obaidallah Mohammad Munteshari for ME Club:
The course was organized by the ME club for ME204 students on 2nd Nov'22 from 9:00 pm onwards through MS teams.EES is a general equation-solving program that can numerically solve thousands of coupled non-linear algebraic and differential equations. A major feature of EES is the high accuracy thermodynamic and transport property database that is provided for hundreds of substances in a manner that allows it to be used with the equation solving capability.
- Dr. Morsi Mohamed Mahmoud participated in a visit from Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) to IRC-AM on 2nd Nov'22:
Dr, Morsi M Mahmoud was involved in a visit from Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) to IRC-AM on Wed from 1:30-3.30 PM, 2nd Nov'22 to discuss possible collaboration on Materials area.
- Visit to district cooling facility of Aramco by Dr. Mokheimer Esmail:
Dr. Mokheimer Esmail coordinated and led a visit to Aramco district cooling facility operated by Tapered Saudi Arabia Company on November 3, 2022 starting at 9:00 Am. The visiting team included students of his class ME-429, Energy efficiency and auditing course students, two ME faculty, Dr. Ali Alshehri, Dr. Obaidallah Munteshari and some researchers from the IRC-REPS (CEEE) center. The visit was kicked -off by Tabreed and Aramco team's presentation on the district cooling facility operational concept and some performance metrics. The plant is a central chillers' plant the provide cooling for all the Aramco head quarter campus in Dhahran. During the visit the students were detailed about about the chiller performance, cooling towers performance, chilled water distribution and storage system for off/on peak use. The visit was followed by a Q&A session for KFUPM team by the Tabreed and Aramco teams.
- Dr. Afaque Shams delivered a guest lecture on Nuclear Energy to the graduate students of Sustainable and Renewable Energy:
Dr. Afaque Shams was invited for a guest lecture on Nuclear Energy to the graduate students of "Sustainable and Renewable Energy "on 5th november'22. The lecture started at 1:00 pm and concluded at 4:00 at Hotel Aloft, Dhahran. This master program is hosted by electrical engineering department. The lecture mainly focused on the nuclear energy systems with a more detailed attention to the following topics:
- How does nuclear power industry work?
- Different types of nuclear reactors including their design and safety features.
- Nuclear fuel cycle.
- Nuclear reactor physics.
- Nuclear safety.
- Energy Audit conducted by Dr. Mokheimer Esmail's team and team from CEEE:
Dr. Mokheimer Esmail team (Students of ME 429: Energy Efficiency and Auditing) along with a team from the CEEE is conducted energy audit one of the KFUPM's chiller plants on November 7, 2022.In the audit the students assessed and measured the energy use index of the plant and compared with the standard international levels of similar plants. The students also conducted detailed measurements of the energy use and energy efficiency of:
- VAC system in the plant
- The lighting system in the plant
- The electric motors and the chilled water circulation pumps
- The chiller compressors
- The cooling towers and its fans and pumps
- The plant envelops thermal insulation
After the visit the student will carry out detailed calculations of the energy consumptions and suggest possible energy savings opportunities while evaluating the life cost analysis of their suggested solution and estimate the payback period of pertinent to each solution as well as the environmental impact of each suggested solution. In addition, the students will compile all their measurements, calculations, conclusions and recommendation in a standard energy auditing report.
- Dr. Atia Esmaeil Khalifa delivered a short course on "Research Skills" to Undergraduate students:
This week Dr. Atia Esmaeil Khalifa delivered a short course on "Research Skills" to Undergraduate students who are taking the Uxplore research program. The Uxplore program is organized by the Student success center, students' affairs, KFUPM. The course duration was 10 hours starting from 6th to 9th November,2022.
- Dr. Fadi A. Al-Badour delivered a help session to ME 308 and ME 302 students organized by ME Club: Dr. Badour delivered this help session on 7th November' 2022 to 302 students in preparation for their second major exam. The duration of the session was 2 hrs. approx.
- Dr. Rached Ben Mansour delivered a help session to students of ME315 organized by ME Club:
Dr. Mansour delivered this help session on 12th November' 2022 from 6:00 – 8:00 pm to students of ME315 in reparation for their second major exam. The duration of the session was 2 hrs. More than 30 students attended the help session.
- Dr. Morsi Mohamed Mahmoud participated in KFUPM- SABIC workshop on November 9th – 10th, 2022:
Dr. Morsi Mohamed Mahmoud participated in KFUPM- SABIC workshop intended jointly, identify and articulate specific collaboration opportunities for SABIC to effectively engage with the DTV ecosystem (including KFUPM) such that SABIC achieves important technology and innovation goals while contributing to the ecosystem growth and activation.