Nano Technology Group
To become an internationally recognized leading research group in the area of engineering nanomaterials/nanostructured materials encompassing synthesis, characterization and applications.
To establish a facility and a research capacity that would be devoted to conduct basic and applied research in the areas of processing/synthesis; characterization and applications of nanomaterials/nanostructured materials, be at the forefront in the development of new materials and associated novel processing/synthesis routes that would benefit the Kingdom and the Region.
- To identify a group of engineered materials at a micro/nanoscale and study its feasibility for application in Saudi Industry
- To study the art of fabrication of selected engineered materials at micro/nanoscale
- To study the physical and mechanical characteristics of the engineered materials and explore their effectiveness in oil, gas, petrochemical, desalination, fuel cells and marine industries relevant to the requirement of Saudi Arabia and the Region
- To explore some of the current industrial challenges that can be addressed through nanotechnology research and develop appropriate solutions
- To disseminate the new knowledge to industry, academia and public at large
- To contribute to the development of teaching graduate programs/courses and training students in the field of nanotechnology
- To contribute to the development of skilled human resources in the relevant areas
- To establish strong links with other research groups/centers locally and worldwide for joint collaboration and efficient utilization of the research facilities and human resources
Our vision is to be recognized as world-class leader in research and development on turbomachinery with emphases on meeting the specific needs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in this important area.
- Develop and transfer new technologies
- Establish partnership /collaboration with internal and external organizations/Institutes
- Perform State-of-the-art research
- Advocates for Center of Excellence resources
- Establish and maintain world wide leadership in research
- The major activity of the turbomachinery group was the participation in the MIT collaboration projects in the field of clean energy. Two proposals were approved in the area of clean combustion and thermal burier coating of advanced gas turbine systems.
- The Group has submitted proposal for multi-layer nano-coating that includes the purchase of state-of- the- art multi-layer ion plating machine that is expected to serve many disciplines including turbomachinery field in areas of high temperature oxidation-protection for gas turbines hot sections (combustors and turbines).
The Mechatronics Group is dedicated to offering highest possible quality education in the Mechatronics Field, and carrying out applied Mechatronics research addressing developing needs of local industry.
- A new senior mechatronics course under the umbrella of KFUPM – MIT collaboration is being developed. The educational program will take one year starting from the first of September, 2008, and it is conducted in the following scheme:
- Getting a KFUPM faculty member prepare core material for the course
- Having a KFUPM faculty member to visit MIT during the Fall Semester.
- Getting the Lab arranged in terms of equipment, training, and manuals. Teaching the course during and getting it evaluated by a MIT committee. Conducting a final refinement of the course.
- It is the goal of this collaboration project to bring a new dynamism to the mechanical engineering department, where it would offer an interdisciplinary mechatronics course that any KFUPM senior standing engineering student should be capable of comprehending
Multiphase Flow Group
- The Multiphase Flow Group (MFG) at KFUPM consists of experts in multiphase flow who are actively involved in leading edge researches in this area. The executive members cover both sides of this area, the isothermal/adiabatic type of research and the multiphase flow and heat transfer side in both the analytical and experimental approaches.
- Multiphase flow is involved in many of the industries in Saudi Arabia. For example, production and transportation of petroleum fluids through pipes for petroleum and petrochemical industries, the water treatment and desalination processes and thermal-hydraulics analysis codes for the power generation industry. These are just few examples of the importance of multiphase flow research for the Saudi industries.
- The outcome of this research group will help in solving multiphase flow problems encountered in the local industries as well as increasing the awareness of the multiphase flow among the future engineers and others through workshops, seminars, conferences and short courses which will be conducted by the group.
To be recognized as world leaders in quality research in the areas of multiphase flow and heat transfer.
The mission of this group is:
- To conduct both basic and applied state of the art multiphase flow research for the benefit of Saudi Arabia's industries
- To establish links with the industry and similar worldwide research groups in developing new innovative technologies in the area of multiphase flow.
The main objectives are:
- To conduct state-of-the-art experimental and analytical research to solve the local industry problems in multiphase flow.
- To establish multiphase flow capabilities at KFUPM (facilities, design tools, personnel, etc.,)
- To provide technical training workshops, seminars and short courses.
- To establish strong links with oil/gas industries in Saudi Arabia.