- PhD, Systems Engineering, Cairo Univ., Egypt, 1974
- MSc, Electronic Engineering, Cairo Univ., Egypt, 1972
- BSc, Communications Engineering, Cairo Univ., Egypt, 1968
- CISE-302 Linear Control Systems
- CISE-315 Signals and Systems
- CISE-318 Digital Systems
- SCE- 507 Linear Multivariable Systems
- SCE- 517 Nonlinear Control Systems
- SCE- 529 Decentralized Control
- SCE- 614 Robust Control
- SCE- 691 Distributed Energy Systems
- Networked control systems
- Interconnected control systems
- Robust control
- Time-delay systems
- Fault-tolerant systems
- Microgrid systems
- Fuzzy-logic based control systems
Honors and Awards
- Co-Winner of the Most Cited Paper Award 2009 for the paper "Robust Filtering for Jumping Systems with Mode-Dependent Delays, Signal Processing, vol. 86, no. 1, 2006, pp. 140-152.
- The paper Asynchronous H-infinity filtering of discrete-time switched systems, Author(s): Mahmoud Magdi S.; Shi Peng, Source: Signal Processing, vol. 92(10), pp. 2356-2364, Oct. 2012 was selected top 4 among 40 best papers in Electrical & Electronic Engineering by the Web of Science | ISI in July 2012.
- Interviewed for "People in Control", IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 34, no. 3, August 2010, pp. 27-29.
- Guest Editor for the issue “Neural Networks and Intelligence Systems in Neurocomputing”, Sino-American Scholars Online
- Recipient of the BEST RESEARCH PROJECT AWARD, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, (2009), (2012), Saudi Arabia.
- Awarded the DISTINGUISHED FACULTY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD, Systems Engineering Department, KFUPM, (2009) and (2013), Saudi Arabia.
- Recipient of the EXCELLENT RESEARCH AWARD IN SYSTEMS ENGINEERIN, KFUPM, (2012), Saudi Arabia.
- Fellow, Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE), UK.
- Senior Member, Institute of the Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), USA.
- Member, Council of Engineering Institutions, UK.
- Member, Egyptian Engineers Society, EGYPT.
- Member, Kuwaiti Engineers Society, KUWAIT.
- Member, Operations Research Society of Egypt, Egypt.
- Member, Sigma XI, USA.
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, New York, USA.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud Switched Time-Delay Systems, Springer-Verlag, Boston, 2010.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud Decentralized Control and Filtering in Interconnected Dynamical Systems, CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group), New York, 2010.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud Decentralized Systems with Design Constraints, Springer-Verlag, UK, 2011.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud and Yuanqing Xia, Applied Control Systems Design: State-Space Methods, Springer-Verlag, UK, 2012.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud, Distributed Control and Filtering for Industrial Systems, IET Press, UK, 2012.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud (Editor), Advanced Discrete Time Systems, InTech Open Access Publishers, Europe, 2012.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud and Yuanqing Xia, Analysis and Synthesis of Fault Tolerant Systems, John Wiley, UK, 2013.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud, Control and Estimation Methods over Communication Networks, Springer-Verlag, UK, 2014.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud and Yuanqing Xia, Networked Filtering and Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks), CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group), New York, 2014.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud and Fouad M. AL-Sunni, Control and Optimization of Distributed Generation Systems, Springer-Verlag, UK, May 2015.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud, ”Coordinated Control Methods of Waste Water Treatment Process”, Chapter 41 in the book Electrical Engineering and Applied Computing, edited by S. I. Ao and L. Gelman, Springer-Verlag, pp. 515-528, September 2011.
- Faisal A. Al-Nasser and Magdi S. Mahmoud, ”Robust Wireless Sensors Network Application: A Decentralized Approach for Traffic Control and Management” Chapter 16 in the book Wireless Sensor Networks Technology and Applications, InTech Open Access Publishers, pp. 347-374, July 2012.
- Li Dai, Y. Xia, Mengyin Fu and Magdi S. Mahmoud, ”Discrete-Time Model Predictive Control” Chapter 4 in the book Advances in Discrete-Time Systems, edited by Magdi S Mahmoud, InTech Open Access Publishers, pp. 865-876, 2013.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud and Haris M. Khalid, ”Closed-loop Identification of Uncertain Systems”, Chapter XX in the book Signal Processing- New Research, edited by Ganesh Naik, pp. 515-528, 2013.
- Magdi S. Mahmoud, ”A Novel Feedback Control Approach for Networked Systems with Probabilistic Delays”, Chapter 25 in the book Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science: Proceedings of The World Congress on Engineering 2013, Gi-Chul Yang, Sio-Iong Ao and Len Gelman (Editors), pp. 355-370, 2014.
- Invited Speaker to Texas A & M University-Qatar, Electrical Engineering Department, April 23-30, 2009
- Invited Speaker to Beijing Institute of Technology, Automatic Control Department, China, (Distributed Control Methods), July 15-31, 2009.
- Invited Speaker to Kuwait University, Electrical Engineering Department, November 17-24, 2009.
- Keynote Speaker to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Al-Ain University, Al-Ain, UAE, May 2010.
- Invited Scholar to Beijing Institute of Technology, School of Automation, July 15-31, 2009, July 17- August 2, 2010, July 4- July 21, 2011, June 3-20, 2012, May 31 - June 18, 2013, March 3 - March 6, 2014.
- Invited Speaker to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, March 24- April 1, 2011
- Invited Speaker to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Texas at San Antonio, USA, October 23-November 11, 2012.
- Invited Scholar to Yanshan University, Institute of Electrical Engineering, (A New Feedback Design for Networked Systems with Probabilistic Delays) June 4- June 5, 2013, August 1-3, 2014.
- Invited Speaker to University of Science and Technology Beijing, School of Mathematics and Physics, June 19, 2013, March 7, 2014.