Master in Sustainable and Renewable Energy
The electric energy sector in Saudi Arabia is experiencing record growth in demand requiring significant investments throughout the full supply chain. A great opportunity exists to significantly influence the sector growth plans through embedding the principles of sustainability as a national strategic necessity. Such influence requires professionals and leaders with the skills necessary to model the support systems of policy makers, business developers and technical experts. The Master Program in Sustainable and Renewable Energy builds on the success of KFUPM's undergraduate education with its emphasis on research and study of advanced and specialized subjects. The general objective of the program is to prepare professionals and leaders with the skills required to address the challenges of transforming the Kingdom's electric energy sector into a highly efficient, reliable entity. The program graduates will have acquired state-of-art knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to address the technical, economic and environmental issues in the design of renewable and sustainable energy systems. Moreover, the graduates will have attained the methodical attributes to operate, control, evaluate, and manage the renewable and sustainable energy systems of the future. Hence, they will advance and lead the Kingdom's renewable and sustainable electric energy sector into a highly efficient, reliable entity.
To apply to the program, candidates must have a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Physics from a recognized institution with a high academic reputation. The minimum requirements for possible admission are as below:
- A Bachelor (B.Sc.) Degree in Engineering or Physics from a recognized institution.
- A Grade-Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a scale of 4.00 or equivalent. Official transcripts and degree certificates are required for final admission.
- Completion of TOEFL with a minimum score of 70 (IBT). IELTS is also acceptable (minimum band- 6.0). IELTS or TOEFL is not required for KFUPM students.
- At least two letters of recommendation.
- Satisfying the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission into the program, as final admission is subject to an evaluation of the entire application, and possibly a personal interview. Based on the assessment of the applicant file, the admission committee might offer conditional acceptance for students who need to take deficiency courses.
- Mandatory documents for application (without which the application will not be processed):
- Application Form
- Copy of identification (National ID for Saudi nationals / Passport for international applicants/ Iqama for residents of Saudi Arabia)
- Complete official transcripts for B.Sc. degree
- Two Recommendation Letters
EE 580: Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems (3-0-3)
EE 581: Renewable Energy Integration (3-0-3)
EE 582: Solar Photovoltaic Systems (3-0-3)
ME 539: Solar Energy Utilization (3-0-3)
ME 526: Wind Energy (3-0-3)
EE 583: Energy Storage and Hydrogen Systems (3-0-3)
ARE 549: Sustainable Built Environment (3-0-3)
ECON 575: Energy Markets, Policies, and Regulations (3-0-3)
EE 619: Project (0-0-6)
Course Offering Plan