ABET, incorporated as the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, is an organization that accredits college and university programs in the disciplines of applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology. ABET accredits over 3,100 programs at more than 670 colleges and universities in 24 countries. ABET provides specialized, programmatic accreditation that evaluates an individual program of study, rather than evaluating an institution as a whole.
ABET accreditation, which is achieved through a peer review process, provides assurance that a college or university program meets the quality standards established by the profession for which the program prepares its students.
ABET is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
ABET Vision and Mission
ABET is recognized as the worldwide leader in assuring quality and stimulating innovation in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology education.
ABET serves the public globally through the promotion and advancement of education in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology.
- Accredits educational programs.
- Promotes quality and innovation in education.
- Consults and assists in the development and advancement of education worldwide.
- Communicates and collaborates with its constituents and the public.
- Anticipates and prepares for the changing educational environment and the future needs of its constituents.
- Manages its operations and resources in an effective and fiscally responsible manner.